I climbed TWO mountains in Makkah!

Alhamdulillah, I climbed Jabal Noor and Jabal Thawr, two mountains in Makkah. Jabal Noor is where Rasulullah Sallallahu Alyhiwasallam received the first revelation of the Qur'an. Jabal Thawr is where he stayed with Abu Bakr RadhiaAllahu Anhu on his way for Hijrah to Madina, whilst the Quraysh were in pursuit of him.


JABAL NOOR

We got up early. The plan was to leave around 5am. A minibus was hired to take us to the mountains. The team gathered in the hotel lobby and made our way on the bus.

We stopped over at a Masjid close to Jabal Noor. We prayed Fajr here. Once we prayed, we gathered outside where Afruz Miah baisab aka the Running Man led the group in a warm-up session. Took me back to school P.E lessons!

After we warmed up, we walked over to the mountain. At its foot, there was a very steep road we had to walk up. This was challenging itself. We were huffing and puffing, wondering what the actual mountain would be like.

We walked up to the foot of the mountain. There were steps engraved on the mountain. The steps were a bit high, so tough on the knees. I had my trekking stick which made it easier to trek.

The sun was slowly rising. There was a Turkish group, men, and women, led by a man with a mic and speaker. He was encouraging the group, sometimes doing Zikr, and sometimes singing poems. I felt encouraged too and a few other people joined in with the Zikr. What motivation!

Up I went, spontaneously meeting my group members. People were selling drinks and water on the way. A Turkish aunt encouraged us with words that I’m quite familiar to; ‘Hey MashaAllah!’

I would stop to take a few breaths. Admiring the surrounding. These rocks, they witnessed the greatest of creation, Rasulullah Sallallahu Alyhiwasallam. I envy those rocks!


Up I went. Afruz bai encouraged us to go at a pace. Don't rest too long, be consistent. Nearly there. There were people asking for Sadaqah on the way. Others resting, tired from the climb.

A group of brothers from India where reciting poetry as they got up. It was beautiful listening to them.

Railings started to appear which meant I was nearly at the top. Slowly pushing myself, I reached the top Alhamdulillah. I thought it might have taken longer but was surprised at the time. Probably around 45 minutes or so.

MashaAllah what a stunning view at the top. By now the sun had risen. I could see as far as the clock Tower, the surrounding mountains, and valleys. I also spotted Jannatul Ma'Alla where Khadijah RadhiaAllahu Anha is buried. There were many houses down below, with roads crisscrossing each other. I pictured how Rasulullah Sallallahu Alyhiwasallam climbed this very mountain.

The cave of Hira was busy with people trying to get in. Some people were praying salah inside, whilst others just took a peak in, with a picture or two. To get to the cave, one had to go up a few steps and down, through another narrow cave. So narrow, I had to squeeze through rocks. I felt a little claustrophobic but managed to get through. However, there were too many people trying to get into the cave and conscious of time, I decided to leave.


I took in the atmosphere one more time and decided to head back down with a few brothers from my group. Downhill seemed to be a little harder, yet quicker. We got to the base and literally tiptoed down the steep road that led to the mountain. Some of us bought some drinks and headed back to our waiting mini-bus. Some group members had to go back to the hotel due to various reasons.

JABAL THAWR

The minibus parked up at the mountain. Another mountain to climb! I heard that this one was harder and longer to climb. Not letting my mind get busy with those thoughts, I went ahead with the group. On previous occasions, I have been to the foot of the mountain but haven’t climbed it. Whilst in Madina, I bumped into brother Abdul Hannan, who had just walked from Makkah to Madina! He had told me that Jabal Thawr was harder, so I mentally prepared my mind for that.

We went on. There was a bit of a walk before the ascent. It was quite rocky. The mountain was quite green, due to recent rainfall. Maulana Sulaiman of Telford told me that it must have been green during the time of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alyhiwasallam, because they used to have sheep coming here to graze and hide the footsteps of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alyhiwasallam and Abu Bakr RadhiaAllahu Anhu.


I remarked that the climb seemed better, as we were stepping onto rocks and was easier to climb, instead of large steps. I spoke too soon!

As we climbed, it got tougher and tougher. I was huffing and puffing. The sun was blazing. I took rest often. I drank water.

Up the mountain we went. There were men asking for Sadaqah. There were shops selling snacks, cold drinks, and hot tea. I did wonder how they got their goods up, including fridges!

The climb didn’t seem to end. I kept looking up but couldn’t see the end. Up I went.

By now some of the group members had to go back down, as the sun was too much to bare. I really needed to push myself. The burden of donors who donated towards my campaign was heavy on my shoulders. I needed to fulfil this Amanah (Trust).

There were many older men and women casually climbing up! I wondered how they did it, without the gear I had. No trekking stick, not even a bottle of water in sight!

By now I kind of split up from rest of the group.


As I was climbing, at one point I wanted to give up. I was at an edge of the mountain, small space to climb up, in pain, exhausted; scared of heights. My legs were shaking.

Then I thought of my mum. Throughout the climb, I kept telling my friend Irfan how my mum would ask me questions about the climb, she’d want to know what it looks like at the top, so I needed to climb!  

As I was contemplating to give up, I could feel some sort of energy. I did Salawat and Bismillah walked up all the way. When I went back to the hotel, I called my mum and she said she was making Dua for me whilst I was climbing. SubhanAllah this is from Allah.


I've made intentions to come Umrah with my mum, please make Dua Allah accepts it.

Huffing and puffing, pushing myself up, I realised that the top was nearby. A Pakistani auntie encouraged me saying it’s not too far. I thanked her and pushed on. Some others who were climbing back down would often give a rough estimate of the time remaining. It was beautiful to experience such a thing.

Alhamdulillah, I made it to the top! I had to gather my thoughts, I had to take a break. I had to calm myself down. I am now standing where the Prophet Sallallahu Alyhiwasallam was!

I went over to the cave of Thawr. Due to the number of people, I couldn’t and didn’t want to go inside. I did pop my head into the cave where people were praying.

A shop was selling cold drinks, so I bought some and gave it to some of my group members.

We now had to go back down. I braced myself and went ahead. Going down is harder! I now had pain on my calves and thighs. Brother Irfan had bought water for us; it was such a nice feeling to quench the thirst.

Alhamdulillah, we reached the bottom. Some of the brothers had to leave early, and some of us waited for a cab to take us back to our Makkah hotel. Whilst waiting, brother Irfan bought me and brother Habib ice cream. Hands down one of the best I’ve tasted!



Alhamdulillah, we reached the hotel. I was in so much pain! I probably had a short nap, but for the next day I was still in pain, a pain so worth it for the lovely experience I just had.

I didn’t think much of it at the time, but on reflection I realised I just climbed TWO mountains within 5 hours!

Please support the work of Global Relief Trust. I want to take this opportunity to thank the team for such an amazing experience

Comments